If you're lucky enough to head north this summer, or heck, to the park with some friends and spiked sangria, everyone knows the best part is always digging in to some tasty food out in the fresh air.
We've got your back and are sharing our tried and tested salads that always get the recipe requests. Bonus points for bringing a big jug of iced Rose Glow with a squeeze of lemon!
Moroccan Millet Salad
- 3/4 cup raw millet (quinoa works great here too)
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds or pepitas
- 1/4 cup dried figs (small diced) or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Dressing: Juice from a lemon, 2 tbsp of oil, 1/2 tsp curry powder
1. In a medium pot, heat 2 tsp of oil or ghee over medium high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, shallot and spices and cook for 2-3 min, until the shallots have softened. Add the millet and cook for 30 seconds, stirring to toast.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth or water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, season with salt, reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 15-17 min, until tender.
3. While the millet cooks, in a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon just and curry powder until combined.
4. In a large bowl, add the cooked millet, sunflower seeds, dried fruits, feta cheese and green onions. Toss to combine. Drizzle with the dressing and toss again. Taste and adjust lemon or salt as needed. Keep refrigerated. Good at room temperature or cold, for up to 5 days.
Dilly Potato Salad:
- 1 lb baby potatoes. halved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced.
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp capers, minced
- 1 dill pickle, small diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, minced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: watermelon radishes, sliced into wedges
- Dressing: 3 Tbsp (plant-based or regular) mayonnaise, 2 tbsp grainy mustard, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. In a large bowl, add the potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Arrange the potatoes on a lined baking sheet. Roast for 18-24 min, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl used for the potatoes, add the mayonnaise, grainy mustard and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and whisk to combine.
- When the potatoes have cooled to room temperature, add them to the bowl with the dressing aswell as the shallot, green onions, capers, fresh dill and dill pickle. Toss well to coat. If you're feeling adventurous, roughly mash the potatoes to get get knobbly bits. Yum! Serve at room temperature. Best when enjoyed the day of.